Now that you have the basic body mechanism for a full swing rotation down, it’s time to further prepare yourself for a game setting. Mastering a proper rotation won’t be helpful to you unless you know how to do it with a golf club in your hand! So grab a golf club, and get ready to prep your muscles for some more rotation drills!
Before we jump right into a full golf swing in proper golf form, let’s use the golf club in a slightly different way…
Club and Shoulders Rotation Drill
- Set up as shown with grip end of club on left side (for right handed golfers).
- Rotate your upper body until the grip end is in line with or slightly behind the golf ball.
- Rotate through to a balanced finish.
Now let’s get a proper grip (ten finger, overlapping, interlocking) on the golf club and get even closer to a full, proper swing.
Full Swing Rotation Drill with Golf Club
- Set up with good posture and club at waist height (note shoulders, arms, and club form a “Y”)
- Rotate upper body over right leg (maintain “Y”)
- Rotate lower body then upper body over left leg (maintain “Y”)
The next step would be to perform a full swing rotation drill with golf club in golf posture, and you can find more about this in Fit for Golf-Set for Life. Tune in next Monday for some examples of strength drills with a medicine ball that you can easily incorporate into any workout routine.